FRENCH PRESS: THE GUIDE
The French Press is one of the most popular methods of brewing coffee. Cost-effective, user-friendly and flavor-oriented; the French Press has a special place in most coffee lovers’ hearts.
HOW TO MAKE COFFEE USING A FRENCH PRESS
The trick to making a great cup of coffee, is the careful mix of coffee and water.
Ideally, the ratio should be 15ml of water to each gram of coffee. The example below uses 14g of our signature ground coffee and 250ml of water:
- Estimated brewing time is 4-5 minutes
- Strength: Medium-Strong
- Number of cups: 1
The Key Steps:
- Fill your kettle with water and turn it on.
- While waiting for the water to boil, add 14g of our signature ground coffee into your French Press
- After the water is done boiling, fill three quarters of your French Press from your kettle
- Wait for a layer of foam to start forming; this should take approximately 30 seconds
- Pull the plunger all the way up
- Pour the rest of the water to fill up your French Press, then close the lid.
- Start a 4-minute timer
- When your timer hits 3-minutes and 50-seconds, slowly and gently push the plunger all the way to the bottom
Your delicious cup of coffee is now ready to be served!
We, at cilantro, always appreciate your feedback and opinions! Get in touch with us and let us know how this experience was!
Versatility is a great attribute of the French Press; it can be used to froth milk, as well as brew tea. This device is a favorite amongst tea enthusiasts who enjoy making their preferred beverage using tea leaves, rather than tea bags or ground tea, as it is a great device for steeping and filtering.
FROTHING MILK WITH A FRENCH PRESS
Nothing's more satisfying than channeling your inner barista to make your own frothed milk. Here’s a very easy guide..
The Key Steps:
- In a small pot, heat up the milk to around 90C°.
- Make sure the French press is empty, then pour the heated milk to about half the height.
- Pull the plunger all the way up, then close the lid.
- Repeatedly thrust the plunger back and forth for 30 seconds.
- Finally, gently remove the lid.
Your frothed milk is now ready!
FRENCH PRESS MAINTENANCE
It's best to clean your French Press straight after using it to avoid coffee beans sticking to and ruining your press. If you're in a hurry, make sure to at least rinse it with water and leave it till you are able to get back to it.
However, if you get caught up with your busy schedule, as one does, and forget to wash it or rinse it, don't panic, we’ve got your back! Here’s what to do:
The Key Steps:
- Soak the filter in white vinegar overnight and clean it with a sponge the next day.
- Afterwards, soak the filter in water with baking soda and make sure to rub the mixture on the filter.
- Finally, soak the filter in water with soap and hydrogen peroxide and wash your French Press with soap making sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards.
Your French Press should now be clean and ready to resume its coffee-brewing duties!
If you’ve left your French Press for a long time and can’t seem to clean it using the steps above, Get in touch and we'll help get it back into shape asap!
Get started with Cilantro's Basic Coffee Kit!